Saturday, December 1, 2007

Fall Foliage

Sorry for the month-long absence; blog-writing attempts were completely hijacked by National Novel Writing Month participation and various other endeavors, but I now can focus on showing off my surroundings again.

So here are a few shots of the ephemeral beauty that surrounds me, proving that for 30 days or so my place is prettier than Cal.

This is the view from the station, and it's heartening to see that the true natural beauty of Japan can outshine the drab-
ness of 'modern' designs. Unfortunately the two tallest trees are already clad in Christmas lighting (barely visible as threads) and it looks like human plans will win the upper hand all too soon.

Here's the campus--I am so thankful for the clear weather today.







Now the explosion of gingko color that I saw when I turned around:

I will indulge myself with one last shot that I hope you all enjoy, taken right from the top of the back-door dorm stairs that I use everyday.

When shooting these in the style of the typical Japanese tourist, I realized that never-
changing pictures are somewhat contrary to the spirit of passing beauty they attempt to capture. Perhaps too philosophical a dilemma, but it does encourage me to enjoy the real thing while I can in God's artistic timing.

1 comment:

william said...

sweet stuff man. it's good to see you are enjoying japan.