Saturday, October 20, 2012

Back in Gear

The immediate focus of my internship is meeting and getting to know students.  This is a lot of fun, but isn't necessarily automatic; after all, there are clubs to be attended, jobs to be sought, regular friends to be surrounded by, and (a priority for some) classes to be completed.

Hanging out on campus is fine, but I personally prefer entering a student's world when possible.  They are the native experts, after all!  Going to someone's favorite hang-out spot also allows me to experience what's best about a place or menu together with them, sharing in their delight and creating great memories.

The first two weeks on campus weren't great times for after-hours fellowship.  Several nights were taken up in adjustment to a new apartment and team business; several more didn't work for new friends at the last minute.  I was frankly discouraged that repeated texts were bringing back evasive 'no's or--worse--no response at all.  

Finally, though, I got to have dinner with two recent pals in Mitaka's finest ramen spot!  Though the superb grub alone would have been worth the train ride, our great conversation about hobbies and cross-cultural experiences truly hit the spot.  One of my buddies spent several years in Germany and had to help his dad try to figure out an all-German washing machine.  (Their duds were almost ruined in the process!)

   

Feel almost adjusted to my new location and assignment.  And yes, I am wearing contact lenses these days.

No comments: