Friday, February 1, 2008

Chat-and-Run

When I travel, I generally like to go there in a relaxed state of mind, with leisure time and optional plans that allow me to enjoy what the area has to offer. 2 weeks ago, however, I had a very different experience of Japan's most famous merchant town.

Osaka was my destination for two reasons: a summer semester classmate's work in his college photography club's exhibit and a chance to reconnect with the man who first spoke to me about being in Japan. 31 hours didn't leave me any time to explore the slightly more historic downtown, but I very much enjoyed the brief talking time God allowed me to have. Though I am only beginning to learn how to express love to others, I think physical presence (as much as possible) is key; this trip was, in that sense, good practice.

The picture show was quite impressive and several pieces could easily have be mistaken for professional work, partially because the line between hobby and obsession is easily blurred for many Japanese--and easy university classes with at most a part-time job often compound this devotion. If buddy Jerich gets sucked into that kind of fascination, or even just continues practicing, I think he could become a top-notch talent.

The other friend, who graciously lent me his apartment's tatami room so I didn't have to worry about where I would spend the night, also introduced me to some unique twists in the regional dialect (which is probably stronger than Southern-accented English to the Tokyo ear). Ryan is a missionary working in Osaka, and if he hadn't spoken at my college's Christian club about the need in Japan for people who love Jesus I don't know where I'd be now. But he did, and as I prayed & thought about his challenge I believe God changed my heart even at the level of desire--"Maybe going there is a good idea." It was a slow process, and I had to lose confidence in the dreams I had made for myself first, but I am here now and very grateful to Ryan for his help and encouragement. I also got some blessedly spicy Korean food for free.

Thankfully, though, I knew before crossing the ocean that the best times would probably be with friends and family, as in CA. As a follower of Christ the latter also has a Spiritual meaning, though I do miss my wonderful relatives. So even though this is not an exciting post, it is more typical of how I choose to spend my time. I'll take a quick conversation with a friend over the shopping trip any time.

No comments: